Description


Because Crohn's Disease is hard enough - New posts every Sunday!

Sunday, June 23, 2013

No Bake Cheesecake

Cheesecake and Berry Compote Topping
It was my birthday recently, and as such, I deserved cake. And let me make it very clear: I didn't just want cake for my birthday, I deserved cake! I survived almost a year on the SCD and I craved something exquisite. But, being poor and a horrible cook, I settled with a No Bake Cheesecake (that and my yogurt cake turned into bread pudding...)










Ingredients (Crust):

1 1/4 cup almond flour
3 Tbs. butter
1 tsp. honey

Instructions (Crust):

Preheat the oven to 300˚F. Mix all the ingredients together and press into a 8" pie tin. Cook for 15 min. until it begins to brown. Remove and cool in refrigerator.

Ingredients (Filling):

2 Tbs. water
3/4 tsp. unflavored gelatin
2 cups SCD yogurt
1/3 cup honey
1 Tbs. vanilla
1/2 tsp. lemon zest (optional)

Instructions (Filling):

Once the crust is in the oven, begin working on the filling. Mix the water and gelatin in a small bowl and microwave for 5 seconds, then stir. Microwave for another 5 seconds and stir, and continue repeating until the gelatin is completely dissolved. In a separate bowl, mix the yogurt, honey, vanilla, and lemon zest together. Add the gelatin to the mixture and mix thoroughly. Pour into the cooled crust and let set, about 4 hours.

Berry Compote Topping:

http://everydayscd.blogspot.com/2013/06/berry-compote-topping.html

Notes:

*Real simple recipe. Just make sure you give it time to cool. Make it the night before, and it'll be just fine. In fact, the crust doesn't even need to be that cooled before you add the filling.
*The topping takes about 20 minutes to make. Either make it the night before, or plan accordingly, or top with fresh fruit.
*The recipe I used suggested that you drain the yogurt with a cheesecloth. That takes about 24 hours and personally, my cheesecake turned out just fine without draining it. You will get a denser cake, but plan accordingly.
*Original recipe: http://heal-balance-live.blogspot.com/2009/09/scd-cheesecake.html

No comments:

Post a Comment