Description


Because Crohn's Disease is hard enough - New posts every Sunday!

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Banana Oatmeal 2.0

Banana Oatmeal with Pecans and Cinnamon
Sorry I haven't blogged in a while. I've got recipes and experiments that I thought would turn out great, and somehow managed to flop tremendously. This is one of those recipes that went horribly wrong the first time, but I got smart, fixed my mistakes, and now have an awesome breakfast item that is just killer. And if you don't like coconut/don't have coconut oil, don't fret. There's a peanut butter version as well down in the notes section.






Ingredients:

1 ripe banana
1 Tbs. coconut oil
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 - 1/3 cup pecans halves (or any type of nut), crushed
1/4 tsp cinnamon
Honey to taste

Instructions:

On medium/low heat, melt the coconut oil in a small sauce pan. Add applesauce and mashed banana. Stir infrequently until oil is integrated and begins to bubble, about 5 min. Remove from heat, and add honey, cinnamon, and pecans. Mix and enjoy!

Notes:

*Unsweetened applesauce is easy to find. Just make sure it doesn't have anything added (i.e. cinnamon or sugar).
*Feel free to experiment. Try adding apple chunks or dried fruit.
*I love my oatmeal chunky, so I prefer 1/3 cup crushed pecans. If you're more of a mushy oatmeal person, cut it to 1/4 cup crushed pecans. And you could even remove the nuts completely if you'd like.
*Version 2.0 comes out a lot thicker, and the oil doesn't separate from the rest of the "oatmeal". All around a better recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment